Thursday, February 28, 2013

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein



J.R.R Tolkein is a wonderous man and it is still so unbelievable to me that he created this whole world out of nothing! Not only did he create this whole world but he created the language and races and everything out of his head, over a lifetime. He is the man.  I have never read the Lord of the Rings but after this I really want to. The films based on these books are great and I cannot wait to see the two more Hobbit movies.The humorous tone of the Hobbit is so great compared to Lord of the Rings. I found that the Hobbit was very refreshing and rich with detail, as J.R.R Tolkein never ceases to amaze me with the amount of detail he includes.

I absolutely loved the three trolls and Radagast. They were my favorite characters by far, I never really knew that there were more wizards other than Gandalf. Radagast seems as though he is an extreme hippy/fairy version of Gandalf. He seems as though he is equally wise and kind to Gandalf although he also seems like he is a bit crazy because he speaks to the animals and cares so deeply about them. I feel like Radagast shares apart of Tolkein himself with how Tolkein said that our world was irrelevant and the world he created is the real part of life we need to explore where as, Radagast seems disconnected with the human world and lives in his own world of animals and the forest. So in a way, Radagast and Tolkein are one in the same because they both live in their own little worlds and see the rest of the world very differently. The trolls were so funny, they brought comedy to the dark situation the dwarves were in. If I read this as a child I would have died laughing at the trolls and the different ways they talk about cooking the dwarves.







No comments:

Post a Comment